Friday, September 9

Friday Photos - Sippy Cup

A couple of weeks ago, Brock had a little head cold and got snotty and stuffy for about a week. During that time he was also teething pretty bad, so between the pain in his mouth and the inability to breathe through his nose, it got fairly difficult for him to nurse and he wasn't eating for as long as he normally does. I was a little worried he might not get the fluid or calories he needed (clearly he's in want of them, huh?) so I decided to try to give him some expressed milk in a sippy cup. Technically, the books say to introduce sippy cups or regular cups between 6 and 9 months, but he was 5.5 months so I figured he was close enough and didn't think it would really hurt anything.

Ok, I don't know what it is about the sippy cup, but he is in love with that thing! The first time I gave it to him, he liked chewing on the tip and didn't really know how to suck to get the liquid out, but with these particular sippy cups (Tommee Tippee Explora trainer cup), all a baby has to do is bite down on the spout and some of the liquid will drip out; then they can get more if they figure out how to suck. So he was interested in it from the very beginning, but the second time I brought it out, he threw down the toy that was in his hand and started waving his arms like a mad man, indicating that he clearly remembered the sippy and he wanted more of it.

Since then I've been giving him water in the sippy cup and letting him drink from (or play with) it during some of his mealtimes. He is still a big fan of it and loves to hold it himself (although he rarely is able to get any of the liquid into his mouth when he's holding it). I took some pictures of him this week loving his sippy cup and thought they would work well for the Friday photo.


This is his excited look when I first give him the sippy cup.











Sippy cup action shot
 
"Peace out, Mom; I'm just going to sit here and enjoy my sippy."
  
"Do NOT take that sippy away from me, woman!"

"Seriously, why are you taking so many pictures? I'm just drinking from a sippy cup."












And a special bonus picture of his pooping face, complete with peas and all! :)
One possible downside of the sippy is that I think he thinks all cups are for him to drink out of now, so when Blaine and I have our cups or water bottles and Brock catches sight of them, he gets angry if he isn't offered a drink. Here's a little video clip I got this week that shows exactly what I'm talking about. And note at the end the new skill of pitching a fit when we take something away from him that he wants... definitely not my favorite developmental milestone.

1 comment: